In the mid-1900s the Thomas Center was the social gathering place for residents. It is now the City of Gainesville’s Cultural Center and city offices. The Thomas Center’s history and evolution is an interesting story. The estate previously called “Sunkist Villa” was completed in 1910. Major William Reuben Thomas, his wife Kathryn and their five children made it their home. In 1928 the property was expanded to become a resort hotel. The building remained important until its closing in 1968. It then became the campus of Santa Fe Community College. In 1974 the property was purchased by the City of Gainesville and the buildings were restored.